About Derek Short
Who I Am
I'm a digital marketing specialist, specifically a website designer, developer, and search engine optimizer (SEO). I specialize in building new mobile-friendly websites and repairing malfunctioning websites. I offer graphic design and other digital marketing services too.
I'm also a full-stack developer, which means that I develop both the front-end (what you see) of a website and the back-end (what you do not see). I love the combination of creative art and computer programming that goes into website design and development.
I prefer not to call my work "web design" because I do not design the web — I design sites that are connected on the web, similar to how people are connected via relationships.
I grew up in Palmyra, graduated from Palmyra-Macedon High School, and now live in Macedon. I realized my passion for website design when I took an introductory course while attending Finger Lakes Community College (FLCC), even though my college major primarily focused on the Java programming language and Calculus.
After graduating from FLCC in 2015 with an Associate of Science degree in Computer Science, I began freelancing as a website designer and developer in 2018.
I established Derek's Websites and More LLC, a limited liability company, in April 2021 and enjoy providing all kinds of digital marketing services to businesses, both local and national, small and large.
I believe in accessible, personalized business relationships, and I continue growing my skills with industry-related education.
I'm on the list for Top Web Design Companies in New York.
- September 2011 - December 2015: Computer Science, A.S.
Finger Lakes Community College, 3325 Marvin Sands Drive, Canandaigua, NY 14424
- August 2009 - May 2010: Digital Cinema
Rochester Institute of Technology, 1 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623
- June 2009: Advanced Regents diploma
Palmyra-Macedon High School, 151 Hyde Parkway, Palmyra, NY 14522
Quotes from Others
"Proper preparation prevents poor performance."
~ Daniel Ferry's dad
"You're not going to sell to people who are not looking to buy." and "Reverse engineer success. Research your competition."
~ Chris A. Hughes
Honors and Certifications
Note: Click on an image to see the full size version.
- Website design and development (desktop, tablet, and mobile device-friendly, responsive, intuitive)
- UI (user interface), UX (user experience), responsive design
- Content Management System (WordPress) installation, tutorials, and management
- Marketing: social media, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Email content creation and marketing
- Website traffic data (Google Analytics, Tag Manager)
- Business listing for local directories (Google Business Profile (formerly Google My Business), Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo)
- Business inventory listing on eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, your own e-commerce (online store) website, etc.
- Editing and proofreading of documents, advertisements, books, booklets, and academic papers using high-tech software
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, including excellent interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative approach when working with clients.
- Service-oriented attitude, supporting a team and helping clients.
- A self-starter that demonstrates high levels of enthusiasm and creativity, and exhibits good follow-through.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage tasks on multiple projects in a team environment.
- Motivated to solve problems, take on new tasks based on customer requests, and focus on continuous improvement.
Contact me for a free consultation. 10 minutes or more on the phone. Let's just talk.